Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Kemah Triathlon

I was looking forward to the triathlon. I had missed last year because I broke my arm the year before so I was eager to race. I also had my bike fit adjusted by the Colonel at Colonel Bikes. I called Doug up and told I was tired of riding like a sissy especially after Galveston (even with the flats) I knew my riding wasn't near as where it should be and to see if he could get me riding like I used to. Unfortunately, the bike was canceled at Kemah because it rained heavily all night and into the morning, but I think I've seen some positive changes based on the numbers on the computrainer/heart rate. 

I made the trip to Kemah with my parents. It started pouring down the night before. I never thought the bike would have been canceled. I woke up early the next morning to find that the bike was canceled and that they changed the start times.

 The Swim was a "time trial" start from a jump off the Colonel paddle boat that is usually stationed at Moody Gardens in Galveston. The time trial start was not at all what I was expecting. I thought there would be a couple of seconds between everybody but they told us to go all at once. It appeared to be more dangerous than a wave start so that didn't make any sense to me. I didn't get a chance to look up to see where I was jumping and the water was very choppy, I started following a pack of what I could see only to find we were going the wrong people. Brandon Barnett and I also started swimming on top of each other at the start and I think I sliced my hand on his toenail (Brandon, I meant to tell you to cut those knives on your toes). Luckily, he wasn't carrying any fungus and my hand is mending up. My swim wasn't great at all, much work still to do.

The first 3 miles of my run was sub par, I got off to an ok start but lost my legs within the first half-mile and it was getting ugly. Around the 3 mile marker Ashley Johnson, from the Loncar team passed me. I thought I'm going to have a hard time explaining this one. Ashley's heckuva an athlete. I somehow find part of my legs for the second half and negative split by 60-90".

I quickly got over this race and focused on getting ready for Memphis in May in a couple of weeks. I am thankful for my amazing support system: My Parents, Calley, Coach Brent. Also, Extremus, Revolution Multisport, Tri it Wear, and now Karbon Speed and CR Massage. I thank God even for the bad races...

A special shout out to Todd Hamilton for being an inspiration to a lot of people in his comeback race this past weekend at Texas Man X 50 he rocked it out and was 5th overall and 1st Masters. He was struck by suburban last summer in Weatherford, Tx a small town just west of Fort Worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment