Monday, April 4, 2011

The Kemah Triathlon


I'm not going to say too much about this one, except that it goes down as one my worst races in the books. I didn't have my arms or legs. I felt good in the water and thought I was swimming fast (for me). But turns out I was getting smashed by the amateur elite women, so props to them. I think I did too much zig zagging. The bike was ok. It was very flat, but very windy. There were times I was moving at 32 mph and other times barely breaking 20 mph. Once we hit the run, I completely lost my legs, had a huge side stitch, and a bloodied blister that was hurting really bad on every turn we took. Reflecting back, I was dissappointed at first, but after thinking about it I didn't have the best pre race week as I could have. I'm not the one who makes excuses for myself, I really forgot about these things and thought I would be fine as I took care of these obstacles immediately. I ended up spraining my ankle a little bit, and getting sick a few days before missing a few workouts. I apparently wasn't recovered and maybe dehydrated. On the bright side, I had a couple of bad races opening up last year and it all worked out fine later in the year. It's always good to get the kinks out before the really big ones.

Thank you to Lance who not only had to wait on me for a long time to get ready but drove the whole way and didn't get the ideal rest the day before, he never complained and he rocked out for one of his best races. Also to my buddy Stephen Milford and Brad Pigage letting us crash their place. And always to my Lord for keeping me humble and grateful for all other people and things I have in my life.

Finally, a  huge shout out to OnUrMark Productions, Aaron Palaian, and the volunteers for putting on a first class event.  I am looking forward to this weekend, as I try to regroup this week and do my best at Ironman 70.3 Texas.







Me and Lance after he rocked out to one of his best triathlon races. 

Some of us guys at Olive Garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment