Monday, February 22, 2010

Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon


I will try to make this post short and sweet. The only thing sweet about this post is that I didn't wreck.

I stayed at my buddy's Bo's house (by the way Bo, thanks for the hosting) that night and he let me eat his chicken and veggies, however being the growing boy I am, I was still hungry, we went to the local Subway near by and I got the foot long chicken terakyaki sandwich.

The morning of the race, I woke up right before my alarm went off. Got everything ready, stopped by the convenience store for coffee and got the race site at 6:45am, then I realized we had driven all the way there and let my helmet in my car back his place, so we had to haul back fast like and run a few red lights back to his house to get my helmet and make it back to to the start.

We made it back 5 minutes prior to blocking off the traffic as I was about to start my warm up, the race director Jack is already talking about closing transition way early according to the email that I had printed off. Then there are thunderstorms and race is delayed 30 minutes.

We finally got to start and it was a 2mr/15mb/2mr. It was a very fast start. For whatever reason UNT Triathlete Phillip Dudley takes off like a madman and everyone else follows suit. I am trying to stay relaxed but I know there are some fast guys in this race so I try to stay with in contact. I went to through the first mile in 5:07, so I imagine there were a few guys just under 5 minutes, the second mile slowed down some (5:22) and I was slowly catching the front pack. I ended up 6th after the first run, I rush to transition, get my bike, and do a quick flying mount to catch that first group. Early on I worked my way up to 2nd and I thought I was going to gain ground on Will Brewer but unfortunately I got caught by a few other cyclists and fell back some. Me and Baylor triathlete Matt Ison were trading turns using a "legal distant" draft to hopefully pull our way back up front. However it wasn't working and at the end of the second loop I realize if I want to beat Matt I need to start pulling away as my legs were starting to feel better I hit a tremendous surged as my watch was putting me at 27/28 mph but right after I crossed the timing mat to start the third and final loop I hear hiss out of my front tire. I tried to ride it out in prayers that it wasn't mine but as I slowed down I checked it it was flat so as I wanted to curse a bit and throw and kick things I remained calm and was glad I didn't wreck and just walked slowly back in encouraging a few other racers out there. When I got back I just did the second 2 mile run as a good effort to get the workout in and push the other racers out there.

If I had to do all over again as this was my first du, I would have stayed with who I knew was consistent on the first run and worked my way up differently on the bike. I think I would have been 4th or 5th if I didn't flat and if I raced smarter I think I could have been 2nd or 3rd. But you live and learn and this was definitely a learning opportunity here. It also still very early season right now so you shouldn't be near your peak right now.

Congrats to all the racers that competed and the volunteers who made it success. It was super fast race especially with full teams from A&M, Texas Tech, and UNT. Also TCU and Baylor had representatives as well. Congrats to Will Brewer for killin' it out there and setting a course record. Results link is here http://www.mychiptime.com/searchevent.php?id=4070

So much for short and sweet, here a few pictures I stole, I mean found later on facebook from different people.




Start of the men 39 and under


Making the final turn back to transition finish the 2mile run in 10:30. Behind me is training mate Bryce Fluker out of Longivew, Tx and Texas Tech alum.


Ray Waton a photographer wanted to shoot me as I made my walk back into the stadium.

Ice bath later and the new Triathlete Mag with Greg Bennett on it to take my mind off the cold. It was actually "warmer" today 54 degrees.


Next up I am doing the Athens Triathlon in a couple of weeks and hoping it warms up.

Thanks,

WR

1 comment:

  1. Oh man tough break. No wreck is a plus though. Reminds me of when I flew all that way out to Cali for a century and had my tire blow at mile 17!! It's a great start to a beautiful season though!

    ReplyDelete