Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mega Training Weekend in Fort Worth

This past weekend I met with a group of athletes from different ranges of abilities with my coach Brent Poulsen being the leader. We even had a speedy youngster with us that could for sure move in the pool. We had our work cut out for and it was important to stay fueled. There is just a few of the nutrition products I use, however it shouldn't be taking the place of real food. They are good for some recovery and fueling, especially when time is tight.

Saturday morning was a 8am start with a 2 hour progression run. I think this was the first time I done a progression run this long but it was one of my best, I was wearing my new Brooks Glycerin shoes that I've been wearing for about a week. We had a big group of maybe 10 or so once we hit the Trinity trail we split up into our own paces. I was going a little faster than I probably should have to start but it was ok and my training mate Bryce was there with me. After 45 minutes of around 6.55 mile pace we started the next 45 minutes moderate at 6.20s. Then the last 30 minutes was as hard as we could maintain and I dropped it from 5.50-5.55 mile pace. After run practice it was time go back to the house and eat breakfast to refuel then it was swim practice, but before that I had to go to the bank real quick and well the bank I found was closed and I ended up running into construction and making wrong turns getting to the pool that I was 20 minutes late. I still owe them 1000 yards. Anyways I had to build into the swim and my stomach was hurting early on. We did a bit of strength work with pulls and paddles. There were so many of us in there swimming it turned out to be good open water practice during these cold months. Right after our swim it was a quick change and we were on our bikes for an "easy" base ride. It was good ride we rode by a ranch that had buffaloes and zebras.

After a day of training we hit up this local Mexican place for food. We ate tons of chips and salsa, while we waited of what actually felt like an eternity. Then I ate my plate which contained grilled chicken and tomatoes, rice and beans. I also ate half of Carley's plate and didn't even feel stuffed, in matter of fact we got back to the house and ate her brownies she made for us. Me, Bryce, and Cam passed out before 9PM Saturday night watching UFC.

Sunday morning was another early start me, Bryce, and Cam hobbled down Dave's steps like 80 year old man I see everyday at work for a 40 minute recovery run. Our first mile was 9:33. We refueled again and we met up with the group for a 3 hour bike ride in 38 degree weather, once we got going it wasn't so bad though. I only had like 4 layers on. After a warmup we did a 45 minute steady tempo where we picked up the pace on every loop. Surprisingly I hung with the Cam and Brent as the only 3 left of the main group that stayed on. However I missed a few pulls though, it's funny when you exercise you don't think as well. Then we did few hill repeats then after that we rode back to the pool and did a few fast swims. I thought I was swimming good drafting off Jarrod for more than half a lap from what I was doing the day before, but turns out he was cramping up. No wonder. Then not long later I started cramping up in the same spot on my inner thigh as well, as did most everyone else. That was pretty much it.

Right now I am finishing up one last build week and then next weekend is the Texas Motor Speedway Duathlon.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- that sounds intense. Great work!!!