Monday, April 23, 2012

Tough Road

I've been on the Tough Road a few times. I was an injury prone runner in high school sticking my legs in a bucket of freezing ice water after practice every day to live for the next meet. I got over that by the time I started college.  Post college I got over metatarsal stress fractures. Then I entered the triathlon world.

I have had my share of bicycle wrecks. I once hit and flipped over a car with a nice tailwind pushing me and walked away from it from no serious injuries. I've been over top of the bars and I've had the bike slide out from under me. The strangest one is when a deer ran across the highway in Eustace, Tx, and me of all people happen to hit it. I walked away from each of these injury free minus the road rash with nothing serious.

Yesterday on a recovery ride of all things, I couldn't wait to get back home. I was coming back into downtown on the Trinity Trails and accidently veered of the trail. I tried to get back on and missed. My tires hit the side of the trail and down I went, pretty hard for just tootin' around. I fell hard on my right arm. Completely a rookie mistake.

Today I visited the sports doctor and He diagnosed it as a radial head stress fracture and I got quite a bit of  swelling around my elbow. It looks like I am out of commission 4 weeks minimum, at least for the swimming and cycling. I'll be substituting it with therapy and rehab.  I will be aggressive as much as I can so I can get back out there. I was looking forward racing the Kemah Triathlon but there's no chance of that happening now. I have a lot to be thankful for and glad it wasn't anything worse. Overcoming these set backs is nothing new for me.  My goal is get over this and get ready for Buffalo Springs 70.3.

2 comments:

  1. Oh geez! So sorry to hear that! Hope you heal fast! See you in Buffalo Springs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your fracture. Heal quickly so you can crush it at BSLT!

    ReplyDelete