Monday, January 6, 2014

Out Rival Racing Training Weekend and 1 Year Anniversary

What an exciting weekend I had! It was the ORR Elite group training weekend and Calley & I celebrated our 1 year anniversary.

I drove down to Houston after work Friday evening for the first big training weekend of the year. I was starving by the time I got to Houston after unsuccessfully finding a Subway with gluten free options. I'll know next time to be better prepared for traveling on the road. I stayed at the Hubert Inn. They have excellent hospitality! Jarrett (also on ORR) and Erin hosted me to a great home stay. Erin also has a lot of family in Carthage and they frequently visit, so we knew a lot of the same people. 

Jarrett and I rose early Saturday morning and headed to The Woodlands to meet the team and swim with the Magnolia Masters led by Tim Floyd. It was fun times. There were only about 5-6 of us a to a lane. We were filmed and photographed all weekend...all these photographs are courtesy of Corey Oliver.



The swim was a beating and it was only about 3500 yards.

We quickly got dressed and headed out for a 48 mile group ride that was to steadily build to tempo for the last hour. The ride quickly got fast having a few pro cyclists in the group. I stayed back or so for a little while because my effort and heart rate was starting too high and too quick. A great athlete always follows their coach's instructions. 

My favorite part of the ride was walking into this gas station that took you back in time. There was a lower level into a "bar setting" that had a jukebox, pool table with an old budlight lamp over it. I thought I had walked into a movie setting for "Pure Country". The jukebox even had it flipped open showing George Strait's "Ocean Front Property" album.

Out Rival Racing Group Ride. 
  
It wasn't long after leaving the old gas station/bar the ride quickly heated up...and so did the wind. 

Todd Teren leading the way here, he is making his debut rookie pro season this year.
Todd and I riding together.


After our ride we quickly got ready for short ride around the parking lot since the track was locked up. Our running form was filmed then we followed up and did some drills in the grass. 

What I do with my running form I make up for it with my swimming.
Coach Michelle showing us how to do heel lifts.

After our group workouts it was refuel time at the local Chili's. Then I went to Shama Cycles and Shama worked on my bike fit and I switched my old ISM Adamo TT saddle for the Cobb JOF. I'll do a separate blog for the Shama Fit and the Cobb saddle soon enough. I want to offer an honest opinion after I get some more riding miles in but so far so good. 

I am thankful for all the support team I have this year.

I left Shama Cycles and headed to Tyler to see Calley and it was our time to celebrate our 1 Year Anniversary. Honestly, I do not even know how I was so blessed to have found her. She tells me I must have did something wrong, so I guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing wrong. 

We headed to the Lago Del Pino for dinner Sunday. We had a great dinner there but found it difficult to eat gluten free there but we managed to do it. I had a nice steak filet along with a loaded baked potato and veggies. 



We followed Lago del Pino that up with the Pizookie at BJ's with some strong coffee's. Don't worry (it's gluten free too).  I had a big training weekend and any amount of coffee at that point wouldn't keep me up for too long. It's important to earn your calories. 



My Wife to be in 2.5 months...who's counting? 

No comments:

Post a Comment