Monday, March 30, 2009

What Doesn't Kill You...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? This weekend was one of the hardest workouts I've ever if not THE hardest workout I've ever done. In East/North Texas this weekend we had cold temperatures and crazy winds. I waited until 3:15 p.m. to get started so it would be the warmest part of the day 49 degrees when I started and winds from 20-25 mph from the Northwest. The workout consisted of a 3 hour ride with 6x5 minute hard with 3 minutes easy intervals in the middle of the ride on a rolling course around 175S and 2329/316 North, followed by a 15 min easy spin then a 30 minute time trial flat out as hard as I can. To get the legs trashed for the track workout. I went out with the wind and turned around in 14 minutes then came back in 16.30. Then after the time trial it was a quick change in shoes to the Eustace track for 6x1 mile repeats My goal was to maintain 5.45s the whole way after the long bike. By the 5th and 6th mile repeats I was beginning to taste that oatmeal rasin bar I had earlier. I finally made and survived the workout. Sunday morning though when I woke up it felt like I had been ran over by a Mack truck or hit by a 1,000 bricks. In all it was a good effort. We started the workout at 3:15 p.m. and didn't get done until 8:30 p.m. I owe my buddy Lance a huge thanks for coming out in the cold to watch me. I probably wouldn 't have been able to go as fast if I knew he wasn't watching. I owe as well thanks to pro-triathlete Brent Poulsen (CAN) for challenging me to the workout.

My splits looked something like this:
1)5.30.25

2)5.28.77 (fastest)
3)5.30.40
4)5.36.94

5)5.41.15 (slowest)
6)5.32.45


This weekend is the first triathlon of the year for me at the Lone Star Tri Fest in Gavleston, Tx. I can't wait to see all the triathlon cuties out there.



1 comment: